Tuesday, December 22, 2009

What is the most environmentally friendly was to dispose of cooking oil?

What is the best way to dispose of used cooking oil. I know pouring it down the drain is not environmentally friendly. I dispose of it in a container and toss it in the bin, is there a more environmentally friendly way or doesnt it cause any great harm? Just wondering what other people do.What is the most environmentally friendly was to dispose of cooking oil?
mix it with bird seed and nuts and put it in a hollowed coconut shell(half) to set. Hang up out side in garden little birdies love um specialy starlins.They cost about 2 quid in garden centers.Dont give it to your dog thats just mean.What is the most environmentally friendly was to dispose of cooking oil?
I usually do the same thing you do. I keep milk jugs for used oil and then i throw them in the trash. I suppose if you wanted to keep them for a while and call a company who empties grease traps at fast food restaurants, that might be better, but you can't always be sure of what they do with it. I'd say continue throwing it out like you are now.
well i just feed it to my pet dog or i freeze it and make ornaments
Its organic and not hurtful if you dispose of it in the trash. Do not pour it down the drain, repeat do not pour it down the drain.


Add some kitty litter to it to make it soild and toss it to the curb.


Pour it over you dog's food and he will love you for it. It may not be healthy for him but we all like our junk food.
Cooking oil is not that harmful there are so many other things that you should be more worried about, especially so called 'cleaning' products and gasoline. Cooking oil is not related to the kind of oil that makes gasoline.
If oil is solid at room temperature, place in the trash.


If oil is liquid at room temperature: Small Quantities: Place liquid cooking oil in a sealed container with an absorbent material such as paper towels, tissues or sawdust, and place in the trash.





Large Quantities: (such as oil from a turkey fryer):


If the cooking oil is vegetable oil, contact Sustainable Systems, LLC (243-4269) to find out if they can use it to make bio-diesel fuel (note: You can buy bio-diesel for your vehicle at Cenex in Missoula)!


Contact a restaurant to see if they can collect it with their grease for disposal.





Mix it with bird seed and let the birds deal with it.
Well for starters you can save it and use it acouple times before you throw it out.. I strain mine in a fine mesh strainer and put it in a jar... Usually, I use it 2-3 times.. The leftover I give to my dog over her dogfood....She loves it and it gives her a healthy coat... I do that maybe once a week.... If it has to be thrown away I put it in a glass/metal container (hot)/ Wait for it to cool and put it in a plastic bottle.... Just depends how much oil I'm throwing away.... I only throw away about a qt. of oil every month...
My uncle makes biodiesel out of used cooking oil. Find someone in your area who does the same thing %26amp; they'll come pick it up. If you run a restaraunt and have a lot, they may charge you like my uncle does...that way making the biodiesel is more ';cost effective';.

No comments:

Post a Comment