Tuesday, December 22, 2009

How do you dispose of cooking oil?

I'm new to this. I've done some frying lately and have a couple cups worth of dirty cooking oil that I'd like to get rid of. What do I do? I can't just flush it down the sink, can I?How do you dispose of cooking oil?
I use the plastic coffee cans with the lids, place the old oil in them and discard in the trash. Do NOT pour it down the sink!!!How do you dispose of cooking oil?
That is a good question. I just spent considerable time researching it and in consultation with my wife who is a re-cycling goddess. The best answer I can give you at the moment is to make a deal with one of your local eating establishments that is required by law to recycle their cooking oil, and take your timely deposits to them. We did hit the web but this was the best we could do. If someone else has a better answer I would like to see it. If you can find someone in your community making bio-diesel that would be perfect. I salute your effort.
Once cool I pour it into a glass jar from the recycle bin. Put the lid on and dispose of it in the trash. Do not pour it on the lawn outside since the odor will bring animals and pests.
You may be adding more grease build-up to your drains, just pour it on some weeds outside.
Once it's cool, pour it into any container that's going in your trash, even a bag from bread or chips, or empty ice cream container will do. Don't save it up as you seem to be, just get rid of it as soon as it cools.
You have a couple of options if the oil you used for frying is NEW or only used once... You can strain it with a coffee filter and use it again.. Then you can dispose of it... I have an old plastic laundry soap container that I use to dispose of my used oil.... I've rinsed it out really well... Just make sure the oil is cooled before disposal... Once I get a laundry container full- I will POST it on FREECYCLE.ORG for someone that makes bio- diesel for pick-up... I think our container is 100 oz. or a bit more...

No comments:

Post a Comment