Tuesday, December 22, 2009

What cooking oil do you AMERICANS use?

for frying:


for salads:


for general cooking:


i (of course) use Extra virgin olive oil and for frying (which is pretty much never..) i use either sunflower oil or vegetable oil.What cooking oil do you AMERICANS use?
evoo for everything, it is the only kind i buyWhat cooking oil do you AMERICANS use?
I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt and presume that you are asking this question out of curiousity. I understand how some of my fellow countrymen might look askance at your question, since so many ';FOREIGNERS'; seem to think we ';AMERICANS'; are just cartoon characters to be made fun of and blamed for all the world's woes.





In general, in the south heartfelt cooking traditions remain a part of the culture, so you will see SOME southerners using things (like lard or shortening or corn oil) when much of the rest of the country has eschewed these items as unhealthy. Hispanic communities likewise may use these products more frequently than the general population.





Out east and in the midwest there are so many different cultural traditions that have been passed on that it is hard to generalize. People in rural settings may live very differently from those in big cities. The whole country is being somewhat influenced by the ';Hollywood Healthy Lifestyle'; propaganda we're constantly being fed via TV.





I live in the Pacific Midwest where the Hollywood Healthy trend has invaded. Almost everyone I know uses EVO for most applications, though for frying they may rely on canola, peanut oil or ';vegetable oil.';





The thing about ';America'; is that we are a diverse nation. Although I can make these gross generalizations, you need to realize that many of my countrymen ';do their own thing.'; It is one of the things I love about my country; individualism and freedom of expression abound. People are often offended by stereotypes and ';generalizations'; here.





Myself, I'm a bit of a gourmet.





I use grapeseed oil for frying because of it's high smokepoint. And when I say frying, I really mean using only a teaspoon or so of oil at a time, not deep frying. I will occasionally add an equally small amount of butter for flavor, for example, when I sautee mushrooms and onions.





I use walnut oil, EVO, or an herb infused olive oil for salad dressings.





In baking recipes calling for ';vegetable oil'; I will use a light olive oil, sunflower oil or canola oil depending on the application. I'm picky, so I want to use the oil that is going to most enhance the recipe I'm whipping up.





But then I'm one of those pesky individuals that refuses to be crammed into a stereotype...
My Queen-





For frying Chicken, potatoes, pork chops, chicken fried steak, Canola Oil.





Starting Garlic, Onions, Herbs, making sauces, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, (First Cold Press).





Asian/Polynesian dishes, Sesame, Peanut Oil or Olive Oil





Keeping Pasta from sticking, Olive Oil





Salads, Olive Oil, (Extra Virgin, First Cold Press), w/ Balsaimc Vinegar and Garlic.
Canola vegetable oil.





I limit fats to only good fats like olive oil for salads.





I hardly ever fry food. Prefer to bake in nonstick pan or steam cook or grill. If using grill, lightly spray vegetable oil on the grates. The flavoring is mainly in the spices.





In baking, try to subsitute using applesauce or pureed fruits, but do use vegetable oil, just not as much.
I'm sorry but the way you worded your question the ';do you AMERICANS'; is offensive to me.





In America it all depends on tastes just like anywhere else. I personally use veggie oil , and oilive oil, and even shortening when I fry....and that happens to be quite often...gasp...oh my goodness frying how low brow.





Olive oil is good for vinegarettes as well, sauteeing fresh or dare I say frozen veggies, eggs, meats etc...





Veggie oil is good for baking, making popcorn (on the stovetop not in a a popper), also for eggs and veggies, or for a steak.
Hi,


i use extra virgin olive oil for mostly everything - dressings, sauces, sauteeing.


i use canola for frying.


i use sesame oil for stir-fry, with olive or canola oil. and sometimes also for flavor in dressings or sauces.


i don't use corn, peanut, vegetable, or sunflower oil.
Most American cooking oil is a blend of cottonseed and corn oils.


Some people use corn oil, and peanut oil. Sunflower and Safflower are gaining in use as well.





More and more people are choosing to use canola for deep frying.





Olive oil is used quite a bit for other cooking applications and salad oils.
we use an assortment like most people.





We use a lot of Canola oil for frying (rape seed)





Olive oil for italian cooking-- some salads





Peanut oil for high temp frying





Soybean oil for commercial frying





We use corn oil for other uses- mexican dishes





It depends where in the U.S. you are too, a lot of southerners use lard or bacon fat.
deep frying: vegetable oil


frying something on the stove top: i mix olive oil with veggie oil


salads: i use balsamic vinegar and olive oil


general cooking: olive oil mixed with veggie oil if i have to cook on a high heat, and just olive oil if its not on high.
I use olive oil, or regular vegetable oil usually. Though i don't put oil in salads since i just eat them plain with nothing else added. But everyone is different, and i do not speak for all Americans.
Extra Virgin Olive oil (for low temperatures)


Vegitable oil (for high temperatures)








EVOO smokes at high temperatures so it does not get hot enough to fry.
I, for what ever reason have never developed a taste for olive oil...however I love olives...When I make Vinaigrettes I prefer veg oils and when it comes to cooking I prefer butter...
it depends on how long I have to cook/fry something.





I prefer Extra virgin olive for most thing but if I have alot to cook/fry or will be cook/frying something for a long time vegetable oil it is
frying: vegetable or corn


salads: olive


general cooking: vegetable or cord
I pretty much use Extra Virgin Olive Oil for everything, otherwise butter.
E.V.O.O.
for general purpose it's vegetable oil or spray oils (like Pam). But i prefer E.V. Olive Oil and use that when more appropriate
I like Crisco.

No comments:

Post a Comment