Tuesday, December 22, 2009

I know you can substitute olive oil for cooking oil but can you substitute it in baking also?

can olive oil be used in place of cooking oil in baking such as cakes, cookies, etc? Just curious. Thanks much!I know you can substitute olive oil for cooking oil but can you substitute it in baking also?
Subsituting the olive oil for the oil your suppose to use can be done. BUT its going to change the flavor and texture of the item its being replaced by.








Canola oil is not really a good oil for baking if thats what its being used for Vegetable oil is very light and has no flavor which is why it works so well for baking.I know you can substitute olive oil for cooking oil but can you substitute it in baking also?
I saw a recipe for a chocolate cake that was made with olive oil. I believe it was in Gourmet magazine. Or you could look it up online.
im sure you could
No, no, no! You won't like the flavor in your pastry.
You can, but I would advise against it. Olive oil has a very strong flavor that you would probably taste in your baking. I don't think I would like olive flavored brownies!
I wouldn't recommend it. Stick to canola oil.
Yes you can substitute olive oil for cooking oil. Just keep in mind that olive oil has a strong and distinctive flavor that will change the taste of you baked goods and not always for the better.
No don't do it the results won't be the same. If you want a healthy alternative Canola oil is right up there with the olive oil.
I do not do this. Olive oil has a distinct taste that I don't want in my cakes. I use canola oil for baking cakes, and solid shortening for cookies, and butter for fudge. I try to cook healthy as I can, as I am a diabetic and try to cook ';heart healthy'; for someone my age.





Regards,


Dan
You can substitute chemistry-wise (it won't ruin the recipe), but it won't have the same taste. I would stick with canola or vegetable oil in most baked goods. Plus, canola or vegetable oils are usually cheaper than olive oils.

No comments:

Post a Comment