Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Have you ever used a cooking oil spray instead of conventional oils, butter, fats etc?

If so, do you know what brand it was and whether you found it to be better/worse than more traditional methods?





Thanks for your help!Have you ever used a cooking oil spray instead of conventional oils, butter, fats etc?
i use fry light cooking oil spray.. because one squirt is only 1 calorie.. and i prefer it to cook burgars etc in.. because they dont come out driping in fat, but i wouldnt use it insted of butter like uve put in your question, but i spose it depends what your using the butter for its fine to use cooking eggs, sausages, bacon, mushrooms, hashbrowns and other stuff you fry..Have you ever used a cooking oil spray instead of conventional oils, butter, fats etc?
Cooking oil spray is the greatest invention of all time! I use it for baking all the time. Cakes effortlessly come right out of the pan, saving you the trouble of greasing and dusting with flour is a real time saver. It has almost no calories, and is much healthier than using/ frying (in) plain oil. I also like it for pancakes, in the waffle iron, eggs, grilled sandwiches, etc because it keeps them from being ';greasy'; tasting. They all seem good to me except the butter flavor, ick! My personal favorite, Pam, olive oil. No heavy taste and is better for your heart.
I am not keen on oil prefer beef dripping.
Whenever I can. Cheapest I can find works.
yes





i was not impressed by it just use ordinary oil and a brush if your worried by the ammounts your using with your food just brush a small amount over the food


Also beware the spray oil is more flammable as its a fine spray i nearly caught the kitchen on fire when i decided to spray some more on during cooking and whoosh it went up in flames so be warned it can be dangerous i was using a gas hob at the time
I don't like using aerosol oil sprays because they are full of preservatives. There are atomizing bottles you can purchase where you put in your oil of choice (I usually use olive but you can add your favorite oil or herb infused oil) and screw on the lid. You then pump air into the bottle with the cover (it acts as a pump). You then remove the pump-cover and depress a button-valve that is just like those on aerosol cans. They are great. Pampered Chef sells them but I've seen them in some other stores that sell kitchen supplies and gadgets.
I've used many cooking sprays, including Pam, and it's my experience that they all have a very unpleasant odor and flavor which will taint anything they touch. However, if taste is not an issue, I can make two more points against cooking sprays:





1. The amount of oil you need for most cooking jobs, particularly frying, exceeds the amount which comes out of a spray can in one second. Therefor, in order to prevent sticking, caking, or burning, you have to use more spray, which is the same as just using the usual amount of oil, butter, etc. as far as calories go. It's all fat, afterall. The others just taste better,





2. Cooking spray burns very quickly. That's because it's partly alcohol, which is one of the things giving it its bad smell and flavor. So unless you're cooking very, very quickly, or at a really low temperature, the cooking spray is going to burn and smoke, no matter how much you use.
Arrgghh...SDTerp beat me to it!!





I have two spray bottles (Lakeland) and have put in Extra Virgin Oil. I only use it on Pappadums (before microwaving), spraying diced sweet potato before roasting and sometimes on mixed salad (when too lazy to make a dressing).
I use an olive oil one which you can buy in any supermarket and I have done for years. You can;t compare them to butter which is my favourite way of cooking because of the taste but they do stop food from sticking and don;t have the calories of oil so they're good for light frying and greasing baking tins.
yes- can't remember the brand but bought it from Aldi and the only problem is if you fry eggs you have to finish them under the grill - apart from that no difference at all
I use cooking spray (I love it!) when a recipe calls to grease a pan. If I'm making something where I have to grease AND flour the pan, I use butter or Crisco. I tried spraying the pan and then flouring it, but it came out patchy and clumpy, and my cake stuck to the pan because it wasn't evenly covered.





For cooking/frying, greasing casserole dishes, etc., it's great and very handy!





As for the brand, I normally buy the store brand. It's about half as much as the name brand (Pam) and works just as well. I've tried all the flavors too--butter, canola, vegetable, etc. and notice no difference.
Ok, i've tried it once and it has its pros and cons.


When bbqing, go for spraying. You don't need too much oil on the grill, and it is also rather convinient. For frying, i prefer conventional oils. Although spraying reduces the amount of oil being used, it is a little messy. When i spray the pan, some oil gets sprayed outside the pan too unless you have good control. Also, spray is more expensive than normal oil unless you but normal oil and pour it into a spray bottle.
I use it a lot. It's great for things like eggs, baking pans, etc. It's not good for frying things such as chicken, pork chops, etc. I used Pam brand but soon discovered the off-brands were the same thing with a lower price.
I dn't use a particular brand I bought a stainless steel sprayer and use what ever oil I have in, vegetable or olive it workds great - sprayer was about 拢6 but don't pay more for oil and not throwing away lots of containers
Yes I do use a cooking spray as I'm on a diet. The problem with them is that if left unattended the food will stick to the pan, and needs a bit of stirring till the moisture comes through. the one i bought is ';Fry Light 1 cal sunfloweroil spray';. Hope this helps.
I have used various spays, and to be honest i'm not a fan. you still end up having to spray loads to stop food from sticking. Stick to extra virgin olive oil, better than any spay, unless you are using a wok,as it burns up/evaporates too quickly, in which case use a veg. oil. Only use a little and if food starts to stick add a little water not more oil.
its called spray light, it contains one calorie per spray, i use it all the time its great on roast potato's and roast veg i make oven chips with it too, you can also do fried eggs and it so much more healthier for you
I use Pam and it works much better!

No comments:

Post a Comment