Thursday, January 7, 2010

When is it best to use butter as opposed to cooking oil? Which cooking oil is best for cooking what?

I usually just use corn oil for everything.When is it best to use butter as opposed to cooking oil? Which cooking oil is best for cooking what?
Well butter gets a lot more hotter than oil does and it has a salty flavor to it. Just tonight I pan fried pork chops in butter because I think they taste better. I wouldn't recommend deeping frying anything in it though..





And when it comes to frying in oil, I only use Peanut Oil. Again it seems to cook a little higher in temp as the others and gives a nice taste.When is it best to use butter as opposed to cooking oil? Which cooking oil is best for cooking what?
Hi Twighlight, where does one start with you. I use extra virgin olive oil, if I was deep frying chips/fries then I would use the vegetable oil I have both on hand. Butter ( I use unsalted) has a tendency to burn, so I add olive oil to it also. It's really a matter of individual choice. If you look closely at those cooking shows, The chef's use Extra Virgin Olive Oil 99% of the time.





Chris
The cooking oil is dependent on the temperature that you cook your food and the taste you want to impart. For example, Enola oil will give you a healthy alternative to corn oil. Peanut oil is good very Asian dishes as Olive oil is good for Mediterranean dishes.
For me it's usually a matter of taste. I would fry an egg in butter, but I wouldn't want an oil fried egg.


The other thing is how long you need to fry the food. Butter burns faster than oil, so if I were frying potatoes, I'd use oil.


I use veggie oil,or extra virgin olive oil.



If a recipe calls for butter I use no salt butter because recipes usually call for salt anyhow.I use and prefer extra virgin oil even in baking sweets. Comes out better.

No comments:

Post a Comment