Thursday, January 7, 2010

How do I dispose of used cooking oil?

It is rancid, used oil from my deep fryer, I am in a small town, so no recyclers nearby, IF they take that stuff. Any ideas?How do I dispose of used cooking oil?
NEVER dump your used oil down the drain. It can damage plumbing and cause environmental problems.





First, cool the used oil. Then decide if you need to throw it away or not. Oil used in deep fryers can generally be strained and stored in a clean container for reuse (reuse a few times before it gets rancid).





Next, pour the used oil into a sealable container such as a old jar (think of a mayo or pickle jar with a large body and decent sized mouth).





When the jar is full it can be thrown away in your trash or taken to your local landfill. You can also call your municple government to find out about trash pick up for these kinds of items -- some areas will accept used cooking grease along with motor oil (from changing the oil in your car), etc, on a special pick up day a few times a year.





Since you are in a rural area you might want to ask around to see if any local business produce animal feed - they can sometimes use recycled cooking oil in the process of producing the feed.





You also might want to contact a local fast food restuarant to find out who picks up their used oil; they often contract with trash pick up companies that will recycle or dispose of the oil in an environmentally friendly way. Or they may just allow you to add your used oil to their old oil bin. How do I dispose of used cooking oil?
Uhh no one recylces cooking oil to re-use it for cooking. See if there is someone you sharpens knives and stuff see if they will take it. It works on their stones.





Or just cool and put it back in the original conatiner if you have it, or something with a lid if you don't and toss it. You may not have a lot of options.



You could always make bio-diesel ;)


You could also make soap, but I dunno if anyone would want deep-fryer scented soap.





I usually just throw oil down the sink with some warm soapy water to keep it liquid, but now that I think of it that might not be the best idea...
Put it in a container like an old coffee can or a jar and let it solidify, then you can throw it away.
I keep an old pickle jar in my pantry that I put used oil in. Once it gets full I'll throw it away and start a new jar.
I would just put it in a can and then in the trash.
Can't this be mixed with waste cellulose and fed to chickens and pigs?
i dump my use oil on flower out side i don't know if it is a good ida

No comments:

Post a Comment